Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Putting On the Spirit {Review}

I want to introduce you to a devotional book that I've been working through over the past few weeks -- Putting On the Spirit: Ten-Minute Devotions for Busy Moms by Katie Hornor.

Putting on the Spirit is a one month study about the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) that challenged me to dig into the scriptures and apply it to my life.

When I saw that this book promised 10-Minute Devotionals, I was a bit skeptical. I wrongly assumed that each day would involve a few verses, a short story, and perhaps a challenging through or two. Even though the material for each day was fairly short in length, the book was big in content. I bookmarked many pages in my copy of the book, and I jotted down a ton of quotes in my daily journal.


Each one of the twenty-eight lessons in Putting on the Spirit focuses on a single aspect of the fruit of the spirit -- love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, or temperance. The materials focus on reading scripture, writing the verses down, and reflecting on how they would apply to my life today.

Katie Hornor offers a free companion journal, but I chose to write my responses in my own notebook. I found that spending ten minutes writing and reflecting had a greater impact on my days than simply reading a few inspiring thought.s Biblical truths settled into my heart and became mine to own when I followed the study directions and wrote verses in my own handwriting.

Putting On the Spirit: Ten-Mintue Devotions for Busy Moms is perfect for this busy season in my life. I have no excuse for not spending ten minutes each day studying God's word, and I have been richly blessed by the truths I've found while focusing on the fruit of the Spirt.


As a way to celebrate the launch of this new book, the Kindle version of Putting on the Spirit: 10-Mintue Devotions for Busy Moms is free to download from Amazon today. The price will increase to 99 cents for Wednesday through Friday (December 11th-13th) before going back up to its regular retail price of $4.99. Putting on the Spirit is also available in a Spanish version -- Vistiendose del Espiritu.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...